During the course of this migration assessment engagement, the Oakwood team will work with you to accomplish the following objectives (the scope of this engagement is limited to SQL Server 2008):
This engagement assumes readiness to migrate the client organization’s SQL 2008 Servers and payloads to the Azure cloud, as part of a broader data modernization effort. If a cloud migration is not part of your current planning, we can adjust this engagement to focus on a roadmap, implementation plan, project costs and licensing costs to upgrade your on-premises environment to SQL 2017 or SQL 2019.
- Conduct a physical inventory of all of your SQL 2008 Servers using a tool-based approach (Movere or Azure Migration Tool)
- Create an inventory of existing physical and virtual SQL 2008 servers and storage to determine Azure readiness. This process will utilize the native Azure Readiness/Planning tool to document and provide data/metrics on current architecture utilization
- Determine storage requirements for applications and solutions related to the SQL 2008 Servers, that are identified for migration into Azure services
- Catalogue and review all SQL 2008 server and network architecture to facilitate design discussions for Azure foundational architecture
- Identify and discover the current environment that exists in the current Azure Tenant (if present)
- Document and identify design recommendations in preparation for Azure Foundational design.
- Discuss and review regulatory requirements as needed. Document all requirements for inclusion in the Azure foundational design
- Analyze and review connectivity model into Azure in accordance with Microsoft best practice and discuss final design of connectivity
- Determine Azure sizing based on server utilization
- Deliverable – Utilizing native Azure tools, provide a cost prediction estimate for identified solutions to migrate into Azure
- Deliverable – Provide a cost analysis for the Azure foundational architecture based on agreed upon designs
Document and design a design diagram depicting the recommended Azure foundational architecture design
- Alternatively, provide a roadmap, implementation plan, project costs and licensing costs to upgrade your on-premises environment to SQL 2017 or SQL 2019.
Contact the Oakwood Data and Analytics Team Today!