Microsoft 365 Business Voice
Save Time & Money. Connect Faster & Easier
Microsoft 365 Business Voice makes it easy for small and medium organizations to turn Microsoft Teams into a powerful and flexible telephone system. It’s a replacement for traditional telephony providers and in-house phone systems that can be difficult and costly to manage. You can set up both toll and toll-free numbers, call menus to help callers get to the right department, audio conferencing so you can host meetings with anyone, and more. You can even give people their own phone numbers so they can get calls directly.
Business Voice does all of this by wrapping Microsoft 365 Phone System features into an easy-to-manage bundle. You don’t need to worry about choosing the right plan or feature; they’re all there and set up for you. Because Phone System is a part of Teams, you can turn any PC, Mac, or mobile device into a phone that can use your Business Voice phone number.
What do I need to buy to use Microsoft 365 Business Voice?
To make or receive phone calls to or from external phone numbers in Microsoft Teams, users need a Microsoft 365 Business Voice license. The license gives them access to all the features that they need to make or receive phone calls, host audio conferences, and more.
Users who don’t need to make or receive phone calls to or from external phone numbers just need Teams. They don’t need a Microsoft 365 Business Voice license.
For example, you might have 10 factory employees and 5 office employees. The factory employees may only need to call other employees within your company. In addition to calling other employees, office workers also need to make and receive phone calls to and from suppliers, partners, and customers. In this case, only the 5 office workers would need a Microsoft 365 Business Voice license.
Business Voice License Types
There are two types of Business Voice licenses: Business Voice with Calling Plan and Business Voice without Calling Plan. The type of Business Voice license available to you depends on the location of your Microsoft 365 tenant. Although the license type may determine whether you can set up business voice on your own, we would highly recommend seeking the assistance of trained Oakwood consultants.
- Business Voice with Calling Plan You can buy Business Voice from Microsoft, use the Getting Started Wizard to set up Business Voice, and then set up or transfer your existing phone numbers to Microsoft.
- Business Voice without Calling Plan You need to buy Business Voice from a Microsoft partner, such as Oakwood, who will help you set up Business Voice. Your existing phone numbers remain with your current third-party telephone provider.
How Can Oakwood Help?
Setting up Business Voice without Calling Plan requires the configuration of Phone System Direct Routing. Direct Routing enables interoperability between your on-premises telephone hardware; Microsoft Phone System, which is the core feature of Business Voice; and your third-party Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) provider. Because Direct Routing requires a deep understanding of Microsoft Phone System, PSTN connectivity, networking, and other technical skills, we recommend leveraging the Oakwood Team to set it up. Additionally, Business Voice without Calling Plan licenses are only available from Microsoft partners like Oakwood.
The consultants at Oakwood can:
- Obtain the correct Business Voice licenses for your tenant and phone users
- Help you understand the technical requirements for setting up Business Voice
- Coordinate with your telephone provider to make sure your phone numbers are properly set up for use with Business Voice
- Set up communication between your on-premises telephony hardware and Microsoft 365
- Help you set up Business Voice features like Call Queues, Auto Attendant, Voice Mail, and more
If you need Oakwood’s assistance in setting up Business Voice without a Calling Plan, you’ll need to provide us with the following:
- How many users, phones, and other devices, will need to make and receive calls to and from external phone numbers
- Details about your existing phone system
- Details about your connection between your phone system and your PSTN provider
- Your Internet connection
- Unique design considerations about your organization such as the need to support call centers, phone system call menus (for example, press 1 for Sales, press 2 for Technical Support), conference rooms, phone kiosks, and so on
- How many locations your existing phone system supports and how connectivity is set up between them
Oakwood’s Business Voice Service Offering
To speak with Oakwood’s voice experts today, drop us a message below and we’ll get back to you on what those next steps will be!